Monday, November 19, 2012

Daddy's Gone!

My husband was out for the day working.  When he is away, we get to play!  No, really, we do get to play with food.  I like to be adventurous, and I will eat just about anything.  Not everyone eats like this which is ok.  But, when I get the chance, I like to try something new.

I knew I had a butternut squash sitting in the kitchen waiting to be eaten.  I do not like butternut squash soup, so I always have to find something else to do with it.  While Mr. S. was nursing, I spent some time browsing allrecipes on my phone, and found this recipe: Butternut Squash Cakes.
A quick glance at the recipe told me it looked to be pretty baby friendly.  I had most of the ingredients and could figure out substitutions for what I was missing (regular and wheat flour instead of the favabean flour and chili powder instead of curry powder). 

Somehow, someway, I was able to cut, mix, and cook while Simon hung out on the floor of the kitchen.  He was such an amazingly good baby! I do wear him in my Ergo around the house, but I don't like to do it when I am cooking or preparing food.  I also don't like him to hang out in the high chair before dinner because who wants to sit in the same place for an hour?!

So, the butternut squash cakes came out to be like little pancakes of veggie goodness.  They tasted pretty good, and I even pan fried them (I am usually banned from frying anything).  I also had a piece of salmon that I pan cooked as well.  Simon really enjoyed both, but devoured the squash cakes!  


I was really excited at how easy they would be to hold, and then he went and tore them all up before he would put them in his mouth.  Oh well, I guess you gotta eat food the way you want.

3 comments:

  1. I sense a good story in the, "Im usually banned from frying", bit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let's just say it's good our kitchen hasn't burned down and I have some nice scars to show for my attempts.
      I am using coconut oil to fry up little things now though, and that seems to be working out ok.

      Delete
  2. Looks delicious! I have been experimenting with a version of squash cakes for How to Feed a Henry.

    ReplyDelete